Bell Tower

gallery

Gothic Bell Tower situated in Jindrisska street which has connected the three important Prague squares – Wenceslas Square, Charles Square and Senovazne Square – since the 14th century. Bell Tower is 67.7 meters high, which makes it the highest separate belfry in Prague.

The tower itself was built in 1472 – 1475 beside the Church of St Henry and Cunigunde (Kostel sv. Jindricha a Kunhuty) and it has undergone several damages caused either by foreign military troops (such se Swedish troops in 1648) or by weather (a big storm broke the high Gothic roof in 1801). The tower clock was added in 1577.

There are three big bells in Bell Tower nowadays. The oldest bell inside the tower is called Maria (made in 1518) and it weights 500kg. The largest bell is called Jindrich (made in 1680) and weights 3,350 kg. The last bell bears the name Dominik (made in 1850) that weights 1.000kg.

 

...